Cambridge Assessment is hiring an experienced Linux Application Engineer to support the rapidly expanding Linux systems and the multiple applications and technologies that interact with and rely upon them. The successful candidate will review, maintain, troubleshoot and correct critical production systems in a busy data centre environment while maintaining best practice as suggested by ITIL and industry principles.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor's/College Degree , Computer Science/Information Technology or equivalent real life experience
- At least 5 years related experience in Linux administration, including Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Debian
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of Apache Tomcat in a web hosting environment
- Strong knowledge in Active Directory/LDAP, DNS, DHCP
- Working knowledge of virtualisation technology, using VMware or Hyper-V.
- ITIL Foundation level understanding
- Experience in bash, MS SQL and PowerShell scripting is desirable
- Experience in automation using Puppet is desirable
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with good customer focus
- Demonstrates competent understanding of the 3 tier application structure.
- Understanding of Microsoft Azure/AWS, and its underlying cloud components is desirable
- Understanding of Networking, including firewall and load balancers such a F5 is an advantage
- Working knowledge of Service Management processes is an advantage
- Working knowledge of supporting Windows based systems
- Full-Time position(s) available.
- Day to day provision of second/third line support for technologies that the team owns within agreed SLAs. Regular deployments for bug fixes and functionality releases. Out of business hours support may be expected.
- Manage and prepare for the implementation of projects in the operational/support environments including: evaluation, feasibility, technical investigations, pilots, and proof of concepts, training and knowledge transfer to and from other support teams.
- Provide expert advice to help inform Line Management about the technical capabilities of IT products within the operational support environment. Assess the feasibility of proposed projects to ensure appropriateness of solutions and to maintain alignment with the wider technical framework.
- Successful candidates will be expected to participate in a shift rotation to support the main business hours in the UK.
- Ability to produce quality technical documentation and explain technical concepts to customers in plain English. Proactively take ownership of updates to ensure timeliness, depth and breadth of content.
- Build and maintain effective relationships and lines of communication with other IT Teams, third party suppliers and the Business Streams to facilitate effective delivery. The Application Engineer is a key contact for a number of business applications. The role is important to ensure that the key systems operate within service level agreements.
The working hours will typically not be longer than 8 hours in any one shift, which may fall at any time on any day of the week, including weekends.