The SQL Server Database Administrator will be part of a proactive, responsive and customer focused team, taking responsibility for the administration, maintenance, monitoring and reporting of all databases maintained by Cambridge Assessment.
The role is located in Manila and part of Database Services team, working with colleagues based in Cambridge UK, and India. He or she will be a highly motivated and experienced database administrator with a proven track record in incident and service request management, and will be able to advocate and enforce best practices, leading to Continuous Improvement of services and processes relating to database operations.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to gain experience in other database technologies, in the areas of Big Data, Oracle and SAP Hana.
The main duties are to provide the full range of DBA services in a complex database environment:
- Monitoring and Performance Tuning
- Incident and Service Request Management
- Database changes in compliance with change management policies
- Backup and Recovery
- Software installation, patching and upgrades
- Security Management
- Engage\Lead on multi team efforts related to database usage and access, advocating and enforcing best practice
- Provide input into the improvement of services and processes and the mitigation of risks
- Adoption of other database technology skills within the local team
- Cover extended support hours on rota
With database environment monitoring and tuning experience, the SQL Server Database Administrator should be able to proactively recommend modifications to development and operations teams, ensuring high availability according to SLAs.
Knowledge and Experience:
In looking for SQL Server DBAs, the candidate must at the minimum have acquired experience and knowledge equivalent to a mid-level DBA, ideally at least 4 years of relevant professional experience.
Experience in one or more of the following areas is desirable:
- Graduate calibre, in addition a Microsoft MCSE/MCDBA is desirable
- Database infrastructure project management skills
- A minimum two years commercial experience in administrating MS SQL Server 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 and 2005
- Familiarity with Microsoft Azure is advantageous
- Strong database and SQL performance tuning skills
- Extensive experience of backup and recovery, and management of database security
- Strong skills in T-SQL, SSIS, SSRS and scripting with Powershell
- Working experience of Availability Groups and Windows Clustering
- Knowledge of Windows Server 2008 and later editions
- A good understanding of virtualisation technologies
- Foundation level ITIL certification (desirable)
Analytical skills, a questioning mind and keen interest in technology
High intelligence, Creative thinker and ability to think out of the box
Flexibility, adaptability, experience working in a multi-cultural environment
Strong Initiative, Pragmatic and Results Driven
Desire to self-learn and sharing, Desire to share
Excellent communication skills, ability to articulate in both technical and business terms